If you’re not getting enough activity in your day, it’s not too late to turn it around and gain great health benefits in the process.
Build more activity into your day
Some ways you can incorporate activity into your day are:
- Walk or cycle, and leave the car at home.
- For longer trips, walk or cycle part of the way.
- Use the stairs instead of the lift or escalator, or at least walk up the escalator.
- Get off the bus one stop early and walk the rest of the way.
- Park further away from wherever you’re going and walk the rest of the way.
- Calculate how long it takes you to walk one kilometer – you may find you can reach your destination faster by walking than if you wait for public transport.
Be active (and safe)
If you’re new to physical activity, or if you have a health condition, speak to your doctor before you start any new activities. They can help you decide the best activities for you.
If you’re getting active outdoors, remember to protect yourself from the sun by applying sunscreen and wearing sun-protective clothing, including a hat
Be active at work
You can move around at work more than you think:
- Take the stairs instead of the lift.
- Walk over and talk to your colleagues instead of emailing them.
- Take your lunch break away from your desk and enjoy a short walk outside if you can.
- Organize walking meetings.
Be active indoors
Don’t let bad weather stop you from being active! You can do body weight exercises such as squats, sit-ups, and lunges.
You can also try indoor activities such as:
- swimming at an indoor pool
- martial arts
- indoor rock climbing.
Reduce your sedentary behaviour
Here are some simple ideas to keep you moving while you’re at home:
- When you’re tidying up, put items away in small trips rather than taking it altogether.
- Set the timer on your television to turn off an hour earlier than usual to remind you to get up and move.
- Walk around when you’re on the phone.
- Stand up and do some ironing during your favorite television shows.
- Rather than sitting down to read, listen to recorded books while you walk, clean, or work in the garden.
- Stand on public transport, or get off one stop early and walk to your destination.
If you work in an office:
- Stand up while you read emails or reports.
- Move your rubbish bin away from your desk so you have to get up to throw anything away.
- Use the speaker phone for conference calls and walk around the room during the calls.
Live Healthy and Stay Strong 🙂 🙂