For a quick but filling meal, fill whole-wheat tortillas with low-sodium ham and Swiss cheese. Sliced apple adds sweetness while mustard gives it kick.
Eight 6-inch whole wheat tortillas
Cooking spray or olive oil, for oiling tortillas
1 tablespoon spicy brown or Dijon mustard
1 cup shredded low-sodium Swiss (4 ounces)
4 ounces very thinly sliced low-sodium lean Black Forest or Virginia ham
1/2 small red onion, extra thinly sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons no-sugar-added apple butter, plus more for topping, optional
2 small apples, cut into thin sticks (red and green)
Lemon juice and ground cinnamon for tossing
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- Spray 4 of the tortillas with cooking spray (or brush with olive oil). Lay the oiled tortillas on a large cutting board oiled-side down. Brush with the mustard and sprinkle with about half of the cheese. Top each evenly with a thin layer of ham, onions and some pepper, and then finish with the remaining cheese.
- Brush the apple butter evenly on the remaining tortillas. Place one apple-butter tortilla on top of a ham-and-cheese tortilla (filling sides in), and firmly press the tortillas together to make a quesadilla.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lay a quesadilla oiled-side down in the pan and cook until golden brown and the cheese starts to melt, about 2 minutes. Spray the top of the quesadilla with cooking spray, turn and cook until the other side browns and the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining quesadillas.
- Cut the quesadillas into 4 wedges and arrange on plates. Toss the apples with lemon and juice and cinnamon to taste. Serve with the apple slices.
Eat Healthy and Stay Healthy 🙂 🙂